Thursday, August 16, 2012

ARC Review: Confessions of an Angry Girl

Author: Louise Rozett
Release Date: 8/28/12
Received From: Harlequin Teen via NetGalley
Genre: YA  Contemporary  
Summary B&N.com:
Rose Zarelli, self-proclaimed word geek and angry girl, has some confessions to make…
1. I'm livid all the time. Why? My dad died. My mom barely talks. My brother abandoned us. I think I'm allowed to be irate, don't you?
2. I make people furious regularly. Want an example? I kissed Jamie Forta, a badass guy who might be dating a cheerleader. She is now enraged and out for blood. Mine.
3. High school might as well be Mars. My best friend has been replaced by an alien, and I see red all the time. (Mars is red and "seeing red" means being angry—get it?)
Here are some other vocab words that describe my life: Inadequate. Insufferable. Intolerable.
(Don't know what they mean? Look them up yourself.)
(Sorry. That was rude.)

My Review:

Confessions of an Angry Girl was a good book. But it had many flaws. The characters are mean and I don't think  some of the stuff they did was not age appropriate. The summary is very deceiving, it is a bit like the summary but it really is different then the summary.  

Rose Zarelli is starting high school. The summer before that her dad died. She is angry, at Peter her brother and at her mother that never seem to be there for her anymore. She is angry about what happen the summer before. And she is angry at her best friend Tracy  pretty much ditching her and hanging out with her new cheer-leading friends that are now bullying Rose. Through in hot mysterious Jamie Forta that had a thing with Regina the cheerleader that started the bullying.  Everything piles up and one day she blows. Will it be for the better or worst, or maybe both? Also through in a bunch of peer pressure of drinking alcohol, having sex, and a bunch of other unneeded things for high-school teens let alone freshmen.

I really liked Rose as a character, even though she makes so choices that I don't agree to all the way. I take Rose as more spunky and spicy than angry and aggressive like the summary make her out to be. Tracy the so called bff was very backstabbing. Regina was very immature with way she handled things. She also was very cruel, all the other cheerleaders were like that expect Michelle. Jamie was every mysterious, and I wish there was more of him in the book.   

The summary for this book really down plays the bullying and makes Rose's anger seem more than it is. Yes Rose is angry, but she only really has one big out burst of anger. There was a lot of things I found not age appropriate. For one example some people not Rose would drink and talk/have sex, then they would go and bully Rose like a bunch of middle-schoolers. The also one thing Rose does that Tracy tells her to do that I don't Rose should have done. Bullying is wrong but, it is even worse in this book because they were using personal thing Tracy tells them and they also said things about Rose's dead dad.

There was a lot of things that happen in this book that I disagreed with, and that is what made me dislike this book. It is a good book but, with flaws. I also think this book is a bit more mature then a normal YA book, I don't recommend this to anyone who is younger than 16 or 17. This is a good book, but it is just not for me.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love and appreciate comments!