Monday, July 8, 2013

Review: Life After Theft



Life After TheftRelease Date: 4/30/2013

Genre: YA Paranormal / YA Contemporary / YA Retelling
Received from: Publisher for Review 
Midway Chatter: "Here"

Goodreads Link: "Here"  
Author: Aprilynne Pike

Summary: 
Kimberlee Schaffer may be drop-dead gorgeous . . . but she also dropped dead last year. Now she needs Jeff's help with her unfinished business, and she's not taking no for an answer. When she was alive, Kimberlee wasn't just a mean girl; she was also a complete kleptomaniac. So if Jeff wants to avoid being haunted until graduation, he'll have to help her return all of the stolen items. But Jeff soon discovers that it's much easier to steal something than it is to bring it back.

Paying for your mistakes takes on a whole new meaning in this hauntingly clever twist on The Scarlet Pimpernel
 
My Thoughts:



Life After Theft is entertaining and charismatic. It is a great modern retelling of The Scarlet Pimpernel. All the characters are enjoyable and lovable. I enjoyed Aprilynne Pike's writing. I highly recommend Life After Theft.

 Life After Theft is a excellent and highly entertaining modern retelling of the classical novel; The Scarlet Pimpernel. I have read The Scarlet Pimpernel before, but that was a couple years ago so I only remember the key parts of the story. I loved Aprilynne Pike's modern twists on this classic. It stays true to the main points of The Scarlet Pimpernel, but it's done in very unique and unpredictable way. I loved how Pike didn't always have a person representing a person; I found that really unique and very interesting. I also love how this book is good for people who have read the classic, and for people who haven't, because the retelling elements aren't dominating the story.

 I loved the characters in this book. I loved Jeff. I'm extremely picky when it comes to reading from a guys point of view and especially when a book is just from a guys point of view, but I really enjoyed reading from Jeff. I also loved Kimberlee. I loved see her change and become more a caring and less of a self centered person. I also loved all of the other background characters. Overall I loved all of the characters; they really brought this fun story to life.

 I haven't read a book by Aprilynne Pike before, and I really liked her writing style. I love that this book is a stand alone. It did start out slow at first, but it did pick up pace around the halfway point of the book. Once you get past the halfway mark the book gets way better. 

 I loved this book. It's a unique twist on The Scarlet Pimpernel. I loved all of the great characters. I loved the writing, even though there was a bit of pacing issue for me in the beginning of the book.  I highly recommend Life After Theft for people looking for a fun beach read and/or a great modern retelling of The Scarlet Pimpernel.   

My Rating:

4 out of 5 Hearts


1 comment:

  1. I also liked Jeff's voice in this one! And I found Kimberley to be awful, in the best way possible!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love and appreciate comments!